What is Kundalini yoga?
Kundalini yoga is the most powerful and inclusive of all yogas; the exercises and meditations help to purify, stimulate and strengthen all the systems of the body to unlock our inner, creative energy to get the most out of life. The beauty of the practice is that we can experience our body as a vehicle for powerful and transformational healing. The practice works on all levels of our being at once to balance our physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. We awaken and balance our energy centres to rediscover the peace within.
Kundalini yoga is accessible to everyone. We can all work with the breath, the postures are simple movements and as we synchronize the breath with the movement, we ease ourselves further into the posture. As we watch the flow of our breath and the movement of our body, we focus and slow down our mind so our thoughts become less scattered. As we move the energy, we start to rebalance and reconnect to our centre. Kundalini yoga also incorporates mudra (hand postures that guide energy flow to the brain), mantra (positive sound affirmations) and meditation to promote stillness and encourage the neutral mind. The more we access the still and peaceful neutral mind in our yoga practice, the more we are able to access it in our daily lives.
- Strengthens the physical body so that we cope better with stress. We balance the glandular system and strengthen the nervous system and heart. Muscle stretching and internal massage improve circulation so that the eliminating organs (lungs, intestines, kidneys and the skin) are better able to function. We detoxify to encourage relaxation and rejuvenation. By flushing out the old we allow space for the new.
- By properly connecting with the breath, we encourage the neutral mind for perspective and emotional balance. We connect with our breath, our life force, to balance the left and right hemispheres of the brain to reconnect with our centre, our true essence.
- Kundalini yoga goes beyond giving us a coping mechanism by helping us to realise that we are co-creators in life. It teaches us responsibility for ourselves, we no longer feel the victim. We learn to re-connect with the navel point to give us an unshakeable self-belief system and confidence to go for what we deserve and create the life we want.
- Releases stored emotions such as fear, anger and insecurity. These unwanted emotions embed themselves into our subconscious mind and the cells of our body. Kundalini yoga works to release these stored emotions like the peeling of an onion so that we get back to our true essence.
- Works to re-establish our natural bio-rhythm. When we feel stressed or emotional, the energy in our body becomes distorted. Kundalini yoga rebalances that energy so that we offset any early stages of illness or disease to feel calm, peaceful and energized. By balancing our energy, we bring our mind and body back into the same rhythmic vibration as nature.
- Kundalini Yoga is the Yoga of Awareness. Through our practice we become more aware of our thoughts and actions and start to act from the neutral mind so that we make the right choices. Practising Kundalini Yoga gives you the capacity to go beyond yourself to reach your Higher Self. We start to intuitively make choices for our highest good. Everything in your life will flow as you realign with your soul.
"You are very powerful, providing you know how powerful you are."ť Yogi Bhajan.